Justin Blackman says the highest level of engagement comes right after you’ve made someone laugh.
But don’t fret — even if you aren’t funny, there are easy ways to connect with your audience that will get them to sit up and pay attention.
Justin’s first and biggest piece of advice is to rebel against everything your English teacher taught you. That’s right. Ditch those grammar rules and write like you talk instead.
Because it’s more important to write to a human. And only use the words necessary to get your point across.
Justin’s done this for brands like Redbull, Puma and 5 Hour Energy.
And now as the Pretty Fly Copywriter, he helps B2B companies create memorable messages and a consistent voice.
In this episode, we got deep into copywriting. And Justin even shares what copywriting, stand up comedy and science have in common.
Listen in to learn some specific routines and techniques you can do to develop your skills in copywriting and improve your brand voice.
- Justin shares how he became the go-to guy for creating voice guides
- Hear the quick hit storytelling technique from comedians and why it’s applicable to copywriting
- Discover why it’s important to have a consistent voice and how it can make or break your brand
- Find out how to attract the right clients for your differentiated service and dialing your voice
- Get advice on how to reach out to b2b clients like CFOs for market research
- Learn how to get someone to say ‘yes’ to customer development interviews
- Justin shares techniques to lose the ‘corporate tone’ when writing copy
- Get in on some of Justin’s routines and practices to get better at copywriting
Connect with Justin
Get the podcast delivered to your inbox